Barn Owl nestbox, outdoor design provides a safer home for owlets than some designs due to a 460mm (18”) drop from the entrance hole to the bottom of the box. Hand built in Ireland to last, from environmentally friendly FSC-approved 9mm plywood using steel screws throughout. Approximate size (mm) 710H x 740W x 500D. Built on Exercise platform 510W x 100D. Exposed roof is covered with bitumen felt.
Delivery lead time 2 to 3 weeks.
A tree site is preferable to a pole as a mature tree will provide more cover. An ideal tree would be:
- A mature tree with a thick trunk.
- Isolated, in a hedgerow or on the woodland edge.
- With a high canopy.
- With few or no low branches.
- Where a nestbox can be placed at least 3 meters above ground level.
- Where the nestbox access hole would be visible to a passing owl, even when the tree is in full leaf and seen from a distance.
- Quite close to strips or patches of rough grassland.
Is your landscape suitable?
- Avoid urban, suburban, dense forest and high mountain areas.
- Avoid sites within 1 km of a motorway or other fast, unscreened, main roads, due to the risk of road-deaths.
- Nestboxes do not need to be placed directly on patches or strips of rough grassland as the birds are perfectly capable of ‘commuting’ across unsuitable habitats before starting to hunt and have very large home ranges.
- See https://www.barnowltrust.org.uk for more information about conserving Barn Owls.